The village of Great Moulton (previously known as Moulton St. Michael) is home to the ‘South Norfolk Guest House’. This former village school opened in 1874 and was designed by Wisbech architects ‘Messrs. William Adams and Son’. It was built by two local farmers/bricklayers, ‘Messrs. Potter and Hernes’ at a cost of 325 pounds, 9 shillings and 8 pence, which today would be nominal fee of around £15,000.
The original building only consisted of two classrooms, the smaller one for the ‘infants’ and the other larger room for the ‘standards’. Both rooms were double height, and were embodied by the traditional windows and solid wood floor. The school’s footprint changed significantly since its construction, with the notable addition of a girl’s entrance, toilets, and a ‘wash-up’ room for serving school dinners (now the Guest House Reception).
Gt. Moulton School 1922